After you are placed in the school, we will help you to get a Chinese bank account with ICBC or CCB bank. These two banks are the biggest banks in China. It will cost you 10 Yuan for the annual fee, which is not refunded. You can get the bank card right away, it doesn’t matter which visa you have. And we will transfer your salary to that bank account. You only need to bring the passport in order to open the bank account. Most of the banks open everyday. The ATM is 24 hours, but if you draw out the money from the ATM that doesn’t belongs to your bank, the bank will charge you 2 Yuan for each withdraw.
You can wire the bank through Western Union or Money Gram or wire the money to the foreign bank card. We will help you to do that whenever you need. However, Many times unexpected bills or expenses come up in your home country after leaving. In order to prepare for these instances, we recommend leaving some signed blank checks with a trustworthy family member/friend. If you don’t like this option, you can also think about having a signer (called power of attorney) added to your account (a parent, sibling, trusted individual) to help you manage your affairs at home. Try to make sure that as many of your money matters are in order before leaving for one year. Typically it is much easier to deal with these things in person than trying to do them over the phone or through family members. Make sure you have set up online access to your bank accounts at home. Double check to make sure you know your login name and password. If you are going to be making consistent payments to things like a credit card, student loans, or other loans, try to set up it up so that you can make your payments online from your bank at home.
We pay the teachers on the 25th of the next month and we will transfer to your bank account directly. We calculate the natural month working days. For example if you start to work from Jan 1st, then you will get Jan 1st to Jan 31st’s salary on Feb 25th and Feb 1st to Feb 28th on March 25th, etc. If you start to work on Jan 15th, then you will get Jan 15th to Jan 31st’s salary on Feb 25th and Feb 1st to Feb 28th on March 25th, etc. If its not a full month, the salary will be prorated. Considering the teachers will leave China when they finish the contract, so the very last month’s you will get almost two months’ salary. For example your contract is from Jan 1st to Dec 31st, then on Dec 25th you will get the salary for Nov and on Dec 31st you will get the salary for the whole Dec. 

If you arrive between Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm, we will have assistant to meet you at the airport and take you to the temporary apartment. The assistant will write your name on the paper and wait for you at the exit. Before you come you need to send us a clear, recent photo, so the assistant can find you easily.

If you arrive not between Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm you can take a taxi to come to our temporary apartment, which we will give you the address and the direction. Beijing International airport has very clear direction for the taxi parking place, you can follow it and go to wait for the formal taxi to come. Remember don’t take black taxi who calls you when you come out of the airport.

The taxi fee is about 100 Yuan. You need to pay for the taxi fee first and we will reimburse your taxi fee after one month.

The temporary apartment is nearby our office, in ChaoYang district, near ShuangQiao subway station. You can live for free and use the utilities for free.

You will live in the temporary apartment for four or five days until you are placed and your long term apartment is arranged.

Food is extremely diverse in China. Not just the local food which each region has its own flair, but in the major cities, many western restaurants exist. As for fortune cookies, they are an American invention and you won’t find them in China. Sushi is growing in popularity in China, but is originally a Japanese dish, not Chinese. Chinese main dishes include kung pow chicken, egg and fried tomato and hot pot. 
China’s major cities are no more unsafe than the major cities in the west. Most apartment complexes are gated and police are a constant presence. There are plenty of great books on China. Whenever traveling to a new country, it is always handy to purchase the Lonely Planet guide. If you are looking for something more novel-based, you might try China Road, by Rob Gifford.
There are many different ways to learn Chinese in China, depending on your preferences. Most commonly, teachers choose to find a personal tutor, which can run about 30-100RMB (10RMB = 1 pound, 6RMB=1 dollar) for 1 hour. 

English is not spoken as much in China as it is in South America or Europe. However, that doesn’t mean you need to speak Chinese to survive in China.  Most people will understand simple phrases and you can usually get your meaning across with some hand gestures and patience. There are also many restaurants with English or picture menus and most major businesses will have a token employee who can speak English. 
Any time you are coming to a new country, you must expect that things will be different. Before discussing any specific issues, it is best to say that teachers who do best in China are those people that can take a step back from each new situation no matter how bad or different it might seem and relax and try to work through it.

Here are a few things that teachers find to be different in China, however this list is not exhaustive:
Often schedule changes or additions are made last minute (this is because it is seen as a loss of face to say something will happen and then cancel, so people often wait until the last minute)

When eating at a restaurant with friends, it is seen as a great thing to pay the bill, so often Chinese people will fight to pay. If you want to pay, you need to really insist.

Also in restaurants, tipping is not allowed in most restaurants. This is because it is seen as you telling them that they need more money than they are already paid.

Foreigners are still a novelty in China. As a result, many people have a hard time hiding their curiosity, which might manifest itself in staring at you, asking you to take a photo with them or something as nice as everyone saying hello to you.

Toddlers under the age of 2 often wear clothing that has a split opening in the crotch. Commonly called “split pants”, these allow children to quickly potty train, however, often in public places.
Toilet paper is not common in most public restrooms and is not flushed down the toilet (it is put in the waste bin), so always carry some with you.
Like most places around the world, China is a really friendly open place. However, there are certain people who prey on this openness and we hope you can keep your guard up. In particular there are two areas you should display extreme caution. Any time you go to a very tourist heavy or western heavy area, you will meet lots of people who can speak English, offer to help you, accompany you and tell you they would be happy just to be able to practice their English. Most often they will suggest going to a tea house or an art gallery to experience and show you more Chinese culture. Once at the tea house or art gallery, you will be charged an exorbitant amount of money from 1,000 to 10,000 RMB for your tea or entry fee.  A general rule of thumb is to not add anyone to your party once you are out. This way you can avoid any unpleasant situations as the police are not very helpful in these situations.  The second area to avoid is so called “Black Taxis” or taxis without meters. Make sure to look for real taxis and don’t go with people who just offer a ride for a set price.